Community Health Ambassadors Internship Program is a program aimed to empower African American and Native American youth by training them to serve as ambassadors of health and wellness within their family and broader community. Students will engage in skill building and community health education and promotion, for 12 sessions (mostly on weekends) over 5 weeks, beginning Wednesday, April 19, 2017. The program will culminate in the Ambassadors presenting a pertinent preventative health topic at a community site of their choice. Ambassadors will also be connected with a physician mentor who will assist them in preparing to apply to medical school. For information on this program please visit www.pmfmd.com.
The Community Health Ambassadors Internship Program provides students interested in becoming a physician or pharmacist with the following:
- Skills sessions including preventative health topics particularly relevant to African American and Native American communities, community engagement and public speaking
- An introductory first aid and CPR session
- Exciting and inspiring mentorship sessions with community physicians
- The opportunity to create posters and presentations on pertinent health topics
- The opportunity to provide health education to a site within their community
- Individualized planning for their path towards applying to medical school
- Mentor assignment – Each student will be connected with a mentor who can serve as a resources as they continue their path toward
becoming a physician or pharmacist
- A “Community Health Ambassadors Certificate of Completion” at the end of the program
What is the Application Deadline?
The application period for the “Community Health Ambassadors” program ends April 10, 2017 at 5:00 PM.
NOTE: Please apply early. Space is limited.
Who Should Apply?
African American/Black and Native American students who are interested in becoming physicians or pharmacists, who are also post-baccalaureate, pre-meds, college/university students, community college students, high school seniors, juniors and sophomores, are all encouraged to apply.
How Can You Apply?
Applications can be submitted in one of the following ways:
- Complete application online
- Download application and email completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Download application and mail completed application to Physicians Medical Forum Community Health Ambassadors, 2201 Broadway, Suite 212, Oakland, CA 94612
Please make sure your application is completed and readable. Please make sure that phone numbers and email addresses are correct and legible. Applications will be available on-line and MUST be received no later than Monday, April 10, 2017 by 5:00 PM.
Notification of Acceptance into Community Health Ambassadors
An email confirmation will be sent only to those students accepted into the program. Accepted students must be able to attend Session #1.
IMPORTANT: STUDENTS MUST REPLY IMMEDIATELY TO THIS EMAIL CONFIRMING THEIR ATTENDANCE. STUDENTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED INTO THE PROGRAM UNTIL THIS EMAIL CONFIRMATION IS RECEIVED.
Thereafter, all future communications and next steps will be sent to students via email. Students should check their email frequently and follow-up promptly as indicated.