The Community Health Ambassadors Program aims to empower African American/Black and Native American Indian students by providing them an opportunity to serve as ambassadors of health and wellness for their family and the broader community. Students will engage in skill building, community health education and promotion, for 9 sessions (mostly on weekends) over 5 weeks, beginning tentatively Wednesday, April 18, 2018. The program will conclude with the Ambassadors, working in teams, and making a video or powerpoint presentation on a health topic for a community organization of their team’s choice. Ambassadors will also be connected with a physician or pharmacists who may mentor them in preparing for their journey to medical school. For information on this program please, visit www.pmfmd.com.
The Community Health Ambassadors Internship Program provides students interested in becoming a physician or pharmacist with the following:
- Skills sessions including preventative health topics particularly relevant to African American/Black and Native American communities
- Community engagement and public speaking
- An introductory first aid and CPR/AED session
- Exciting and inspiring mentorship sessions with community physicians
- The opportunity to work in teams and create presentations on pertinent health topics
- The opportunity to provide health education to a site within their community
- Individualized planning for their path towards applying to medical school
- Each student will be connected with a physician or pharmacist mentor who may serve as a resource in their pursuit to become a physician or pharmacist
- Student will receive a Community Health Ambassadors Certificate upon completion of the program
What is the Application Deadline?
The application period for the “Community Health Ambassadors” program ends April 10, 2018 at 5:00 PM.
NOTE: Please apply early. Space is limited.
Who Should Apply?
African American/Black and Native American Indian students who are interested in becoming physicians or pharmacists, who are also post-baccalaureate, pre-meds, college/university students, community college students, high school seniors and juniors, are all encouraged to apply.
How Can You Apply?
Applications can be submitted in one of the following ways:
- Complete application online
- Download application and email completed application to email@example.com
- Download application and mail completed application to Physicians Medical Forum Community Health Ambassadors, 6114 LaSalle Ave., #601, Oakland, CA 94611
Please make sure your application is completed and readable. Please make sure that phone numbers and email addresses are correct and legible. Applications will be available on-line and MUST be received no later than Monday, April 10, 2018 by 5:00 PM.
Notification of Acceptance into Community Health Ambassadors
An email confirmation will be sent only to those students accepted into the program. Accepted students must be able to attend Session #1.
IMPORTANT: STUDENTS MUST REPLY IMMEDIATELY TO THIS EMAIL CONFIRMING THEIR ATTENDANCE. STUDENTS WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED INTO THE PROGRAM UNTIL THIS EMAIL CONFIRMATION IS RECEIVED.
Thereafter, all future communications and next steps will be sent to students via email. Students should check their email frequently and follow-up promptly as indicated.