The Visiting Elective Program (VEP) is funded by the Physicians Medical Program (PMF) to provide support for fourth-year students from socially and economically disadvantaged backgrounds who have historically been underrepresented in medicine. This program is sponsored by the University of California Davis, School of Medicine’s Office of Student and Resident Diversity.
The program is designed to:
- Expose students to both the academic medicine and community service opportunities offered though the above UC Davis Residency Programs
- Allow students to care for a racially and ethnically diverse patient population from both rural and urban communities
- Encourage students from diverse backgrounds to apply to the UCD’s School of Medicine’s Residency Program
Eligible participants are: full-time, Black/African American fourth-year medical students in good standing at accredited U.S. medical schools. Students remain registered at their own schools while participating in the externship at UC Davis; however, student must complete an application form through American Association of Medical Colleges’ Visiting Student Application Service (VSAS): www.aamc.org/programs/vsas/start.htm.
Rotations are four weeks in duration and are subject to space availability.
Mentoring and Networking opportunities
The students will meet Jorge Garcia, M.D., Director of Student and Resident Diversity in the Office of Student and Resident Diversity. Students also will be introduced to members of the Student National Medical Association.
Visit www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/diversity/resident_diversity.html for more information.
Scholarships (up to $2,000 each, to be used toward visiting elective fees, transportation costs and lodging) will be awarded on the basis of:
- Academic achievement as indicated by transcripts and Step 1 scores.
- Interest in serving underserved populations (community service)
- Interest in remaining in Oakland/San Francisco/Northern California Bay Area to practice medicine
Rolling deadline. Applications must be received 6-8 weeks prior to the elective start date. However, applications received less than 8 weeks may be considered.
Note: Both applications must be completed for consideration.
For further information or to receive an application, please contact:
PMF Visiting Elective Scholarship Program
Stalfana Bello, M.P.A., Executive Director
Physicians Medical Forum
Medical Student and Resident Program Coordinator
Office of Student and Resident Diversity
UC Davis School of Medicine
Also visit the following websites
Applications are also available at www.ucdmc.ucdavis.edu/diversity/resident_diversity.html.