Physicians Medical Forum
Visiting Elective Scholarship Program (VESP)
at the University of California, San Francisco
- Enhance the recruitment of Black/African American medical students to residency training programs in the Oakland/San Francisco Bay Area with the ultimate goal of remaining in the area to practice medicine.
- Expose Black/African American fourth-year medical students who are underrepresented in medicine to an academic training program
- Promote student interest in applying to an academic training program
- Promote interest in clinical and translational research
- Provide mentorship during the clinical elective experience
Who Can Apply?
- Black/African American fourth-year U.S. medical students who are underrepresented in medicine are especially encouraged to apply.
- Student must be in good academic standing at an accredited US medical school
- Requirements for the UCSF school of medicine’s clinical electives must also be met
- 4th year standing
- Completion of all core clerkships in medicine, surgery, pediatrics, psychiatry and OB-GYN
- Complete PMF VESP application (.doc file)
- Complete UCSF VESP application (.pdf file)
- Recent CV
- Letter of recommendation from a faculty member
- A personal statement of up to 1,500 words.
- An official academic transcript from your school of medicine
- Students must also apply to the clinical elective program of their choice through the UCSF School of Medicine. Info: http://www.medschool.ucsf.edu/visitingstudents/general/
Note: Both UCSF and PMF Vesp applications must be completed.
Scholarships (up to $2,000 each, to be used toward visiting student elective fees, transportation costs and lodging) will be awarded on the basis of:
- Academic achievement as indicated by transcripts, letters of recommendation, etc.
- Interest in serving underserved populations (community service)
- Interest in remaining in the Oakland/San Francisco/Northern California Bay Area to practice medicine
- Interest in pursuing an academic career in Emergency Medicine, Family Practice, Ob-Gyn, Pediatrics, Psychiatry, Radiology, Surgery, Urology and other specialties
Rolling deadline. Applications must be received 6-8 weeks prior to the elective start date. However applications received less than 8 weeks may be considered.
DOWNLOAD ANNOUNCEMENT BY CLICKING HERE
DOWNLOAD PMF APPLICATION BY CLICKING HERE
DOWNLOAD USCF APPLICATION BY CLICKING HERE
For further information or to receive an application, please contact:
PMF Visiting Elective Scholarship Program
Stalfana Bello, M.P.A., Executive Director
Physicians Medical Forum
Edward Cruz, MD, M.P.H., VESP Director
UCSF Office of Graduate Medical Education
Also visit the following websites
UCSF School of Medicine Visiting Student Info:
UCSF Office of Graduate Medical Education:medschool.ucsf.edu/gme
Nurturing Diversity at UCSF:diversity.ucsf.edu